Sydney FC have hosted many big name players over the years including Dwight Yorke, Juninho Paulista, and most notably Alessandro Del Piero, but there’s a case to be made that their biggest ever player is their current captain Alex Brosque. Signing for the club from the then Queensland Roar in 2006-07, Brosque has been a mainstay at Moore Park since bar a three-year stint overseas. The two-time A-League champion will celebrate his 200th appearance if he plays against Newcastle this week, and to celebrate let’s take a look at what he has accomplished at the club.
Brosque’s 200th A-League appearance will also be his 179th in Sky Blue which will make him Sydney FC’s most capped player replacing former captain Terry McFlynn.
Sydney FC appearances
- Alex Brosque 178 matches
- Terry McFlynn 178 matches
- Sebastian Ryall 165 matches
- Rhyan Grant 146 matches
- Steve Corica 107 matches
Earlier this season Brosque also erased McFlynn in Sydney’s history book by making the most appearances as a captain.
Most games as captain
- Alex Brosque 74 matches
- Terry McFlynn 72 matches
- Steve Corica 47 matches
- Mark Rudan 35 matches
- Alessandro Del Piero 24 matches
- Tony Popovic 20 matches
Further etching his name into club history, Brosque also has a big lead as the club’s top goal scorer. You’d expect Bobo to move into second place, replacing Alessandro Del Piero, but the Brazilian would need to stay at the club for a few more seasons if he is to overtake his current captain on the list.
Sydney FC goal scorers
- Alex Brosque 55 goals
- Alessandro Del Piero 24 goals
- Steve Corica 23 goals
- Bobo 19 goals
- Filip Holosko 18 goals
His name doesn’t just appear a lot for Sydney FC, it also strikes fear in a number of clubs in the competition, especially this week’s opponents Newcastle who has has scored 13 goals and has beaten the side 19 times.
Brosque’s brilliant record against other clubs
- Has scored 13 goals in 26 matches against Newcastle Jets, he has also won 19 of those matches
- Has scored 10 goals in 23 matches against Central Coast Mariners, he has also won 13 of those matches
- Has scored 10 goals in 23 matches against Perth Glory, he has also won 13 of those matches
- Has won nine and scored nine goals in 22 matches against Adelaide United
- He has won 12 from 18 matches against Wellington Phoenix
But the list doesn’t end there.
- Sydney FC Player of the Season 2007-08, 2008-09, and 2009-10
- Eighth most successful A-League player with 96 wins* (47.74%)
- 2005-06 A-League Golden Boot (2005-06)
- Fifth highest goal scorer in A-League history
- 24th player to reach 200 appearances, the fourth attacking player
Brosquey’s beard has gone walkabout! We’re celebrating Brosquey’s impending new @ALeague appearance record for the Sky Blues by handing out 5,000 of his beards at @AllianzStadium on Saturday! Get in quick & get yours… #SydneyIsSkyBlue #Brosque179 pic.twitter.com/06NVXOc1UX
— Sydney FC (@SydneyFC) 13 November 2017
— Westfield FFA Cup (@FFACup) 11 November 2017