After months and months of hollow weekends and empty dreams, the English Premier League is back with Arsenal taking on Leicester City at the Emirates. Before you place your bets, here are some things you need to know:
- The Gunners are currently on a 21-game undefeated streak against the Foxes, winning 14 of those
- Leicester City have only beaten Arsenal once, and that was in their first ever PL fixture, way back in 1994
- Jamie Vardy has scored Leicester City’s last three goals against Arsenal, and on two occasions it was the opener
- Arsenal have only won one of their last seven opening day PL fixtures, however they have won their last 10 home matches versus Leicester City
- Laurent Koscielny has been sent off twice on the opening day of the season
- Alexandre Lacazette scored 91 goals for Lyon in the past four Ligue 1 seasons
- Alexis Sanchez was involved 38 Premier League goals last season, which was more than any other player
- Leicester City have won just one of their last eight PL games to start the season
If you were to call a winner based purely off factual evidence and numerical values, then Arsenal really are hard to look past. They not only have a somewhat impeccable record at home versus Leicester City, but also an extremely dominate one in general over the former Premier League champions.
However, there is a caveat, as Arsenal have a few questionable selections. Alexis Sanchez and Per Mertesacker are both under injury clouds. While on the Leicester side of things there is Riyad Mahrez who will be eager to put in an impressive performance as he continues to push for a transfer.
The fireworks though, will undoubtedly come from Lacazette. The focus will be on the Frenchmen and there is no doubt he will want to score on his Premier League debut. He has been scoring throughout pre-season, so the possibility of him grabbing a goal is very likely.
Who else can't wait to be back here tomorrow? pic.twitter.com/SFuQQiN9Ie
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) August 10, 2017