So after a tense 12-18 hours Australia know we are two matches away from a World Cup defeating Syria thanks to a Tim Cahill double, and after another frenetic 90 minutes Panama scored to knock USA out of contention giving Honduras a chance to book their ticket to the 2018 World Cup. Australians sometimes underestimate our Asian opposition so to help y’all out we’ve dug up 10 stats to help you get to know Honduras.
- You may remember captain Maynor Figueroa. The defender spent six years playing with Premier League sides Wigan Athletic and Hull City. He is also Honduras’ highest capped player with 135 appearances
- Players such as Wilson Palacios, Emilio Izaguirre have had stints at Tottenham and Celtic respectively
- Honduras conceded 19 goals in the fifth round of their CONCACAF qualifying group and loss 6-0 to the United States in March this year
- Los Catrachos have qualified for three World Cups (1982, 2010, and 2014)
- However they have loss six matches and drawn three, finishing bottom of their group every time
- Honduras are currently ranked 74th in the FIFA World rankings. Their highest ranking was 20th in September 2001 and their lowest was 101st in December 2015
- Manager Jorge Luis Pinto took Costa Rica to the Quarter-finals at the 2014 World Cup
- Australia and Honduras have never met at international level
- The Socceroos have only faced a CONCACAF nation four times since the turn of the century. In 2003 and 2005 they beat Jamaica 2-1 and 5-1, loss 3-1 to America ahead of the 2010 World Cup, and defeated Costa Rica 1-0 in Ange Postecoglou’s first match in charge in 2013.
The two legs will take place on November 6 and 14.