Arsenal have their first piece of silverware this season after defeating Chelsea 4-1 on penalties to claim the Community Shield. While all eyes would’ve been on Alexandre Lacazette it was fellow debutant Sead Kolasinac who scored the equalising goal after Victor Moses put Chelsea ahead after 47 minutes. Arsenal missed out on Champions League qualification but still have the Europa League to look forward to. But how will they go in the league? Because Community Shield winners don’t have the best of luck.
- In 25 seasons only seven teams that have won the Community Shield have gone on to win the Premier League in the same season
- Manchester United were the last team to achieve that, they did it in the 2010-11 campaign
- The FA Cup winners have defeated the Premier League winners four years in a row
- Arsenal have failed to the win the league in any of the six seasons they have won the Community Shield
- The winner of the Community Shield has finished inside the top four 20 times
- Leeds United have the lowest finish out of any team that has won the Community Shield. They won the 1992 edition and finished 17th in the inaugural Premier League season in 1992-93
- Only seven teams have won the Community Shield (Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton, and Leeds United)
- Dimitar Berbatov in 2010 was the last player to have scored in the Community Shield and won the Golden Boot
Arsenal haven’t won the Premier League in 13 years and winning the Community Shield doesn’t exactly bode well for them, it has been six years since a team has won both trophies in the same season. The Gunners begin their campaign against 2015-16 champions Leicester City at the Emirates where all eyes will be on them and their most expensive recruit Alexandre Lacazette.
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) August 6, 2017
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) August 7, 2017