Arguably the biggest derby in Australian football takes place this week as Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory face off in the 24th Melbourne Derby. Last year brought plenty of drama with goals, red cards, and controversy aplenty. Warren Joyce’s en downed Brisbane last week thanks to Bruce Kamau brace and welcome Tim Cahill back into the team. While Kevin Muscat welcomes back Mark Milligan, James Troisi, and Kosta Barbarouses from international duty. Before the big game let’s look at the biggest moments and everything you need to know.
- Aziz Behich, Mate Dugandzic, Fred, Harry Kewell, Kristian Sarkies, and Tando Velaphi are the only players to play for both sides
- Besart Berisha has scored the most goals in the Melbourne Derby. The A-League’s all-time top scorer has nine goals in nine matches
- Melbourne City have scored the first goal in the past six encounters against Melbourne Victory
- Kevin Muscat’s side have won the derby 10 times in 23 matches, outscoring City 40 goals to 35
- Melbourne City have only won one Derby each season in the A-League. However they defeated Victory 2-0 in the semi-finals of last year’s FFA Cup
- The biggest victory came in March 2014 when a then Melbourne Heart won 4-0, Orlando Engelaar, Mate Dugandzic, David Williams, and Harry Kewll all found the back of the net